Monday, May 30, 2011

The Highlands


We arrived back from our journey to the Scottish Highlands yesterday afternoon. The trip was amazing- touring all around the Isle of Skye for three days. And even though the bus was, at times, unbearably cramped, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. The weather was off and on rain and sun the entire time. Not such a bad thing until I look back at my pictures and notice rain drops on my lens.  Our tour guide, Neil, did an amazing job of narrating the trip and telling us the legends for each place we visited. I wish we had that kind of dense history in the US.
Our tour led us to places like:
 - Inverness & Loch Ness (no Nessie I’m sorry to report)

 - The Atlantic Ocean (many views of it as we were traveling the coast, and where our hostel was located)





 - Sligachan River (legends say that if you submerge your head in the river for 7 continuous seconds,  or 3 dunks, you will be eternally beautiful. I opted for the full 7 seconds)

 - The beautifully small town of Portree




 - Old Man of Storr (Quite the hike, but by far the best hike and view I’ve had in a long time. Definitely a must see. And the legend that goes along with it is pretty funny too.. LINK)


 - Kilt Rock (Another must see. Same formations as Giants Causeway)

 - Playing in the wind! I don’t imagine I’ll ever be too old for this. I have never in my life experienced such high winds as I have on this trip.


 - Fairy Glen. A place that’s said to be inhabited by fairies!



 - Hairy Coo. This, ladies and gentleman, is Hamish. The oldest living Hairy Coo (18 years).

- Old castles (this is just one of the many that we saw).

  -  Fantastic views!!!


Highlands = Success!!! 
On to Ireland on Wednesday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment